Saturday, January 22, 2011

My Journey...

It’s 2am and I’m sitting here, unable to sleep, thinking about the Challenge tomorrow.  It will be a one mile walk and I am actually ready for it…I know can do it.  Ironically, I will be doing this walk just two days before the five year anniversary of the day I slipped on the ice and wrecked my knee.  I look back now, remembering the fear and the pain and the uncertainty, wondering if I would ever be able to walk normally again or if I would be forced to use a cane for the rest of my life or worse, a wheelchair.

I fell into a deep depression, feeling so lost.  I would lie in bed at night and cry for all the things I would no longer be able to do, like walk on the beach and climb stairs.  There were times that I wanted to die and be done with it.  I gained so much weight…unable to do things I was once able to do, I ate and I put on eighty pounds.  I was slowly able to get to the point where I could walk, but I was in so much pain.  I was terrified of falling again.  It was so bad that I would refuse to get out of the car if there was ice or any uneven ground.  The idea of taking a bath scared me because I was so afraid I would slip in the bath tub or step in water on the floor and fall.

Now, here I am nearly five years later.  I can not only walk normally, but I have lost over seventy pounds and I am in the North Side Fitness Challenge.  For four days this week I worked out on a treadmill, and tonight I completed a mile in 32 minutes and on a 2% incline.  I am so ready to face the one mile walk challenge tomorrow, and I thank God and the people in my life who helped me get here.  When I think of where I was then and where I am now it brings tears to my eyes.  I have a long way to go, but it is a journey I know that I can make because I can now look back and see where I’ve been…    

No comments:

Post a Comment